Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Bremen and Hamburg

Bremen and Hamburg

Bremen and Hamburg

Postby khkate » 01 Nov 2017 13:34

I have a friend who is going on a cruise on Black Watch shortly that berths in Bremen (not Bremerhaven). THis is an unusual place for a cruise ship and its hard to find any info. Thus, can anybody shed any light on whether the ship will be berthing close enough to the city centre to DIY (especially Christmas markets), or whether they are better to consider booking a ship's excursion.

The same applies for Hamburg and are there overnight. I have been able to find out that they will be berthed at Altona terminal and could catch a water bus to get nearer to the city - Landungsbrucken Wharf. If they used this water bus, will it get them close enough to the city to explore on their own, again maybe with Christmas markets in mind.
Future Cruises - Baltics, Canaries Canada, Med, Scandinavia
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Bremen and Hamburg

Postby sparkiethecruiser » 02 Nov 2017 01:19

From fred olsen site

Set on the River Weser, Bremen has beautiful examples of old Hanseatic Gothic architecture in the ‘Marktplatz’ and narrow timber buildings in the ‘Schnoor’ quarter – the oldest part of the city.

Set on the River Weser, our fleet of smaller ships are amongst only a few cruise vessels that can call at Bremen, with larger ships having to stop several miles away at Bremerhaven. We can sail all the way along the river into the heart of the city, so guests can sit back, relax and enjoy the scenery, before stepping ashore to explore.

Once a member of the Hanseatic League, Bremen is home to some incredible Gothic architecture. The Marktplatz (Market Square) in particular is a must-visit site. Here you will find the Town Hall of Bremen, a gothic structure originally built between 1405 and 1410. This UNESCO World Heritage Site currently hosts a restaurant with original Hanseatic era décor and the Bremer Ratskeller, a public house in the basement. The Town Hall is also home to the 12 oldest wines in the world.

so they berth in middle of the city/town
sparkiethecruiser
Captain
Captain

Re: Bremen and Hamburg

Postby khkate » 05 Nov 2017 17:30

I had seen this on the FO website - but I have since learned that the ship will probably berth slightly out of the centre of town, but with a shuttle bus provided. This info was gleaned from somebody who had been on Braemar earlier in the year.
Future Cruises - Baltics, Canaries Canada, Med, Scandinavia
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Bremen and Hamburg

Postby sparkiethecruiser » 07 Nov 2017 01:23

khkate wrote:I had seen this on the FO website - but I have since learned that the ship will probably berth slightly out of the centre of town, but with a shuttle bus provided. This info was gleaned from somebody who had been on Braemar earlier in the year.

Its probably that it berths in what is technically the middle of town but its not really for what you would actually want to see.
sparkiethecruiser
Captain
Captain

Return to Europe