Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Monarch Airlines

Monarch Airlines

Monarch Airlines

Postby khkate » 02 Oct 2017 09:37

Heard on the news that this airline has gone into administration overnight with immediate cancellation of all flights. Shame as they used to be a good airline - Saga used to use them a lot. At least, ATOL has said that they are organising things to get everyone home, that is abroad. Its those whose holiday plans for the future are affected who lose out, although they will probably get compensation.
Future Cruises - Baltics, Canaries Canada, Med, Scandinavia
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Monarch Airlines

Postby Gillzajoker » 02 Oct 2017 15:01

OMG - I already have a flight booked with them for 25th Oct. ALC to LGW and returning 12th Nov., (either end of my next cruise) and only yesterday I booked a flight for next Feb. :o :shock: Panic! What do I do now??? :cry:
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Monarch Airlines

Postby Borneo » 02 Oct 2017 16:55

Gillzajoker wrote:OMG - I already have a flight booked with them for 25th Oct. ALC to LGW and returning 12th Nov., (either end of my next cruise) and only yesterday I booked a flight for next Feb. :o :shock: Panic! What do I do now??? :cry:

:o :o
Act fast springs to mind . So sorry for you.
Borneo
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Monarch Airlines

Postby grannyM » 02 Oct 2017 17:31

Oh dear Gill that's absolutely rotten. I can't believe they took a booking yesterday. It's been in the press that they were in trouble. :evil:
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Monarch Airlines

Postby grannyM » 02 Oct 2017 18:40

Gill, just seen on BBC 1 news that if you go to the www.bbc.co.uk/news website there will be information about what to do for those who have booked future flights. Do not know if that will help you but worth looking at and hope so.
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Monarch Airlines

Postby tomvet » 02 Oct 2017 20:35

Gillzajoker wrote:OMG - I already have a flight booked with them for 25th Oct. ALC to LGW and returning 12th Nov., (either end of my next cruise) and only yesterday I booked a flight for next Feb. :o :shock: Panic! What do I do now??? :cry:

Book flights with an alternative carrier.
April 2018 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Monarch Airlines

Postby grannyM » 03 Oct 2017 10:38

grannyM wrote:Gill, just seen on BBC 1 news that if you go to the www.bbc.co.uk/news website there will be information about what to do for those who have booked future flights. Do not know if that will help you but worth looking at and hope so.

Gill I posted that from my ipad last night. Edited this morning with clickable links.

Gill, just seen on BBC 1 news that if you go to the BBC NEWS website there will be information about what to do for those who have booked future flights. Do not know if that will help you but worth looking at and hope so.

Also Gill, a link from that page HOW WILL MONARCH CUSTOMERS BE AFFECTED

The CAA also has a 24-hour helpline: 0300 303 2800 from the UK and Ireland and +44 1753 330330 from overseas
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Monarch Airlines

Postby Gillzajoker » 03 Oct 2017 15:56

Thanks, everyone, for your help and support. Thankfully, have managed to rebook similar flights with BA, obviously at higher cost, but beggars can't be choosers! (At this stage, just concentrated on the impending flight situation - will sort out the Feb. flight in due course). Have done some checking myself and found that 'flights only' are not covered by ATOL and therefore the CAA can not help. Have messaged Nationwide (My Debit Card provider) for advice, and how to proceed with a claim (if possible). Will check out all the links you have provided, and will keep you informed! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Re: Monarch Airlines

Postby Peka » 03 Oct 2017 17:48

Oh no! I hope you find suitable alternative flights for Feb, so frustrating. Most travel insurance policies also do not cover airline failure (is there anything really covered :roll: ) so the card companies seem the only option. As a side note, Gill you may not have been covered by ATOL anyway as the flights were purchased outside the UK (though it is a UK card issuer, the outbound flight was to the UK not from :? ) I hope claiming your money back does not take too long.

I was only looking at their website a few days ago, had flown with them a few times and always found them to provide a good service and I had an interesting day at their training centre a few years back.
Peka

No cruises booked :(
Peka
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
Iceland

Monarch Airlines

Postby Gillzajoker » 04 Oct 2017 14:49

I've had a prompt reply from Nationwide:-

Hello Member,

Thank you for your message.

I can confirm that I’ve logged a VISA Dispute under the reference MATS********. We’ll also send you a letter confirming this and asking for further information.

If possible could you provide us with a copy of the invoice which relates to this transaction if you do not have this can you send us the following, Dates of inbound and outbound flights, Times of inbound and outbound flights and Location of inbound and outbound flights. this will make our chargeback stronger.

Please do not reply to this message - this information needs to be sent to visa.disputes@nationwide.co.uk along with your MATS reference number.

Please be aware, there is no immediate re-credit for this type of dispute. Once you return the information to us, your account will be temporarily credited with the disputed amount. This will show on your statement as a Correction of VISA Purchase and we will then initiate our investigation.
I hope this information has been helpful. If you need to contact us further, you can reach our Helpdesk on 0800 30 20 11. This number is free to call from a landline but you may incur charges when calling from a mobile phone.

So I'll scan the two invoices and email them to the address given above, and hope for the best :D
-
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Next

Return to Flights