Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Best time to book?

Best time to book?

Best time to book?

Postby pinkdora1 » 15 May 2017 12:23

Hi, I am new to this forum. We have found a cruise we want to go on with RCI next July. Just wondering when is the best time to book? Do they ever do any deals that include drinks etc?
Thanks in advance :)
pinkdora1

Best time to book?

Postby divingbrit » 15 May 2017 13:25

Two schools of thought :-)
If you want a certain cruise, at a certain time, with a certain cabin, you book very early
If you are more flexible, with dates etc, book late (I read somewhere 12 weeks before cruise)

Personally I wanted to celebrate a special birthday so booked early
Scuba diving is not a Sport its an Art
divingbrit
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Best time to book?

Postby Meg50 » 15 May 2017 13:48

it also depends on the itinerary - common ones ( eg Canaries) can be left in case the price drops; rarer ones (eg Black Sea) - tend to rise in price
Meg
Meg50
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Best time to book?

Postby JollyJill » 15 May 2017 14:22

Personally, I would book straight away if I saw a particular cruise that I liked rather than wait and then be disappointed with cabin availability or worse, no availability.

33 cruises on 24 ships.

Seine Sojourn on Braemar September 2017

APT River cruise Amsterdam- Budapest November 2017

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Best time to book?

Postby judgegeoff » 15 May 2017 14:27

First of all pinkdora1, a very hearty welcome to our friendly forum! :wave: Our members have a wealth of cruising experience and will be happy to help you in any way they can.

The above advice is very sound, divingbrit, Meg50 and JollyJill are quite right. Much depends on your personal circumstances and your requirements for a particular itinerary.

When we have really wanted a particular cruise (ship, itinerary or date etc.) we have booked early to ensure that we got exactly what we wanted. On the other hand, we have often taken advantage of late offers at highly discounted prices. With the former you will be able to have a choice of cabin so that you can ensure, for instance, that you are not directly below the jogging track or by an elevator etc. With the latter you will often be given a 'guaranteed cabin' booking, whereby you will not know which cabin you have been allocated until just before the cruise.

My wife and I are both retired and can go away at short notice, so often take the late notice cruises and, so far, have not been disappointed. We have had some amazing bargains, including a 9 night around the UK cruise for £299 per person. Once on the ship we actually find that we spend very little time in the cabin, so are very happy with inside cabins. Once you step outside the cabin everything else is the same - food, facilities, entertainment and excursions etc.

Most cruise lines will offer a drinks package as an extra, but you will need to work out if this is cost effective for you, as they can be rather expensive. Sometimes a drinks package is included as part of an offer and a few cruise lines give complimentary wine and beer with lunch and dinner. We have recently completed a Viking River Cruise and found that their lunch and dinner servings of wines and beers were very generous.

I hope that this is useful, if you have any other queries please post them, I am sure one of our members will be able to help.
Geoff

Cruises Booked

P&O "Aurora" Norwegian Fjords
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Best time to book?

Postby Carwalsick » 17 May 2017 13:21

You may be too young but Saga offer the best prices to early bookers with a guarantee that any later reductions will be matched (like for like ). We have benefited recently from an early booked cruise being upgraded to all inclusive and on previous occasions by cabin upgrades.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk
December 2017 Saga Sapphire Christmas in Scandinavia
June 2018 Saga Sapphire Adventure to The North Cape
September 2018 Saga Sapphire Nova Scotia and St Lawrence in the Fall
November 2019 Spirit of Discovery Canary Islands
Carwalsick
Commander
Commander

National Flag:
United Kingdom